“Do we list now, wait until after the first of the year, or hold off until spring?”
We get asked this question all the time. Thanks to the internet and traditional rules of supply and demand, listing during the holidays presents many unique advantages for sellers. Whether to sell or not at the end of the year has to do with your particular situation and the market. But in general, here’s some real estate advice about why you should consider listing your home during the holidays:
1. While there may be fewer buyers out there, people that are looking for a home during the holidays are generally serious buyers as they are often purchasing because of a time sensitive move.
2. There are fewer homes for buyers to look at during the holidays, which mean there is less competition for you as a seller. Less competition = more money.
3. After the holidays, the supply of listings increases substantially, which lowers the demand for your home. More competition = less money.
4. Your home shows better when decorated for the holidays. A warm & cozy welcome helps potential buyers to envision themselves making your house their home.
5. Many buyers have more time to look for property during the holidays as they typically have more time off from work. Partners can look together too which helps to speed up the decision making process.
6. We will work with you to restrict showings to days/times that work for you. You will remain in control.
7. You can sell now for more money and not have to physically move until January or February as opposed to getting the process started later. Lost in other listings, it could take longer to sell.
8. Buyers think there is less competition from other buyers during the holidays and so are often more willing to put down an offer.
9. Relocation buyers are still out there and they don’t have the luxury of time; they can’t wait until spring to buy a new home. Corporations like to move their employees at the first of the year, therefore, giving them a year end deadline to negotiate a home purchase becomes an strong advantage for you.
10. By selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring, when many more houses are on the market for less money. This will allow you to sell high and buy low.
If you are interested in listing (or buying!) before the end of the year, or are simply curious to find out more about the current market, give us a call! We are always happy to talk real estate!