Despite the rain, we are actually well into Summer and with summer comes BBQ's with friends and family! Below is one of my favorite meals that have never steered me wrong and to ensure no one leaves hungry. From drinks, appetizers, meal, dessert and outdoor games, your goal should be an evening your guests will remember!
Feature Drink - MEZCALRITA
Surprise your guests with a featured drink and made fresh for them upon arrival! Mezcalrita is the perfect summer drink that has yet to disappoint any of my guests!
2 oz Banhez Mezcal (or Mezcal of your choice)
¾ oz Combier Liqueur d'Orange
1 oz fresh lime juice
¼ oz agave nectar
Combine all ingredients in shaker with ice. Shake for ten seconds, and strain over fresh ice into a salt-rimmed rocks glass.
Appetizer - Skillet Spinach-Artichoke Dip With Fire-Roasted Bread
Everyone loves a hot cheesy dip and the cast iron pan will take the presentation to the next level! Good quality Cast Iron pans are actually very reasonably priced at Costco. Start your dining experience with this Spinach - Artichoke Dip!
Canola oil, for grill grate
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set up grill for direct and indirect cooking and heat to medium. Once hot, clean and lightly oil grates with canola oil.
- Whisk together cream cheese, sour cream, 1/4 cup Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, and garlic in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in artichokes and spinach. Transfer to a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place skillet over indirect heat and cook, covered, 10 minutes. Remove foil and rotate skillet, keeping over indirect heat. Cook, uncovered, until bubbly and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from grill.
- Drizzle bread with olive oil. Grill over direct heat, turning occasionally, until crisp, 20 to 30 seconds. Serve with dip alongside
The Main Course - Baby Back Ribs, Grilled Vegetables and Watermelon Salad
This combination will be a hit!
1 cup barbeque sauce
In a small jar, combine cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Close the lid, and shake to mix.
Trim the membrane sheath from the back of each rack. Run a small, sharp knife between the membrane and each rib, and snip off the membrane as much as possible. Sprinkle as much of the rub onto both sides of the ribs as desired. To prevent the ribs from becoming too dark and spicy, do not thoroughly rub the spices into the ribs. Store the unused portion of the spice mix for future use.
Place aluminum foil on lower rack to capture drippings and prevent flare-ups. Lay the ribs on the top rack of the grill (away from the coals, if you're using briquettes). Reduce gas heat to low, close lid, and leave undisturbed for 1 hour. Do not lift the lid at all.
Brush ribs with barbecue sauce, and grill an additional 5 minutes. Serve ribs as whole rack, or cut between each rib bone and pile individually on a platter.
3 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
3 yellow squash (about 1 pound total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
3 zucchini (about 12 ounces total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
3 Japanese eggplant (12 ounces total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rectangles
12 cremini mushrooms
1 bunch (1-pound) asparagus, trimmed
12 green onions, roots cut off
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley, basil, and rosemary in a small bowl to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the herb mixture over the vegetables. Serve the vegetables, warm or at room temperature.
1 1/2 cups sliced cucumber seeds removed
2 tablespoons mint thinly sliced or small mint leaves
1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle the dressing over the melon mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with feta and serve.